What’s Causing My Fireplace to Smoke?
There is nothing charming about a fireplace that allows smoke to pour inside your home. In fact, this is the most common complaint we hear from customers throughout Sacramento. The smell, the soot, the air quality—it all makes for a bad situation and should be dealt with promptly to rule out safety concerns. A to Z Chimney Services will be able to help you quickly identify the cause of your smoking chimney and resolve the issue for you. We’ll likely begin by asking you some questions about your fireplace, such as:
- Does your fireplace just smoke when you first light it?
- Does your fireplace smoke consistently or sporadically?
One of our CSIA-certified technicians will also conduct an inspection of your hearth with a closed circuit video camera. Make an appointment with us today, and you’ll be enjoying your fireplace again in no time.
10 Reasons Your Fireplace May Be Smoking
Your fireplace smokes because it does not draw properly. This may be happening for numerous reasons, including one or more of the following:
1. Your fire is not hot enough.
2. Your fireplace was improperly constructed.
3. Your home doesn’t have enough ventilation.
4. There’s a downdraft created by high winds.
5. Your chimney has an obstruction such as birds’ nests.
6. The weather is cold. This may be the cause especially if you notice that your fireplace only smokes when you first light it.
7. You have open windows, running clothes dryers, or running bathroom or kitchen exhaust fans.
8. Your chimney damper is not opened all the way.
9. Your chimney has a build-up of hazardous creosote.
10. You’ve made a recent addition to your home—such as a new garage or outbuilding with a high roof.
Solutions For A Smoking Fireplace
Depending on what’s causing your chimney to smoke, we usually recommend one of the following solutions:
- Have a professional give your chimney a good sweeping.
- Add a smoke guard or a chimney cap that’s specially designed to deflect wind.
- Have your chimney flue extended for optimum height.
- Decrease your flue’s opening size.
We can fix your smoking chimney! Make an appointment with A to Z Chimney Services today. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us, or fill out our online appointment form, today!
We Accept Credit Cards
Certifications & Associations
Awards & Reviews
I just wanted to thank you for coming to our rescue the other day. I just purchased a new home and a new washer and dryer to go with it. Understandibly, I was a very confused when my dryer suddenly began taking two or three cycles in order to dry my clothes! To my surprise, the appliance repairman who came out told me that my dryer was just fine, but that my dryer vent needed to be cleaned out! I had never heard of such a thing! Mercifully, he referred me to you guys and everything went better from there.
Your technician discovered that a bird had decided to make its nest in my vent! A lot of effort and tons of nesting material later, my vent was finally unclogged!
Thanks again for your valiant efforts! The guy that came to my house was fantastic and took everything in stride, and didn’t charge me any extra despite the fact that my vent took longer than normal to clean! I’ll be sure to tell everyone where they can get great service having the dryer vent cleaned!
~ Denise Gordon, Roseville, CA
Read more »
ServiceCEO Chimney Sweeps Software Business Solutions