What’s Causing My Fireplace to Smoke?
There is nothing charming about a fireplace that allows smoke to pour inside your home. In fact, this is the most common complaint we hear from customers throughout Sacramento. The smell, the soot, the air quality—it all makes for a bad situation and should be dealt with promptly to rule out safety concerns. A to Z Chimney Services will be able to help you quickly identify the cause of your smoking chimney and resolve the issue for you. We’ll likely begin by asking you some questions about your fireplace, such as:
- Does your fireplace just smoke when you first light it?
- Does your fireplace smoke consistently or sporadically?
One of our CSIA-certified technicians will also conduct an inspection of your hearth with a closed circuit video camera. Make an appointment with us today, and you’ll be enjoying your fireplace again in no time.
10 Reasons Your Fireplace May Be Smoking
Your fireplace smokes because it does not draw properly. This may be happening for numerous reasons, including one or more of the following:
1. Your fire is not hot enough.
2. Your fireplace was improperly constructed.
3. Your home doesn’t have enough ventilation.
4. There’s a downdraft created by high winds.
5. Your chimney has an obstruction such as birds’ nests.
6. The weather is cold. This may be the cause especially if you notice that your fireplace only smokes when you first light it.
7. You have open windows, running clothes dryers, or running bathroom or kitchen exhaust fans.
8. Your chimney damper is not opened all the way.
9. Your chimney has a build-up of hazardous creosote.
10. You’ve made a recent addition to your home—such as a new garage or outbuilding with a high roof.
Solutions For A Smoking Fireplace
Depending on what’s causing your chimney to smoke, we usually recommend one of the following solutions:
- Have a professional give your chimney a good sweeping.
- Add a smoke guard or a chimney cap that’s specially designed to deflect wind.
- Have your chimney flue extended for optimum height.
- Decrease your flue’s opening size.
We can fix your smoking chimney! Make an appointment with A to Z Chimney Services today. Email us at email@example.com, call us, or fill out our online appointment form, today!
We Accept Credit Cards
Certifications & Associations
Awards & Reviews
Your employee was on time and very careful about cleanliness! I appreciated the fact that he took the time to not only put tarps down in front of my fireplace, but also everywhere he walked as he came in and out of my home… I have had my chimney cleaned by several companies over the years, and I don’t think I remember anybody being as careful to keep it clean as A to Z!
Also, another difference I noticed was the fact that your guy was here about ½ hour longer than any other chimney guys I’ve had in the past. Not only did it seem he was more meticulous and concerned about doing a thorough job, but he also put a Chim Scan Camera up into my chimney after cleaning to make sure there were no dangerous cracks or gaps.
You guys weren’t the cheapest in town, but I feel I DEFINTELY got a better value with your company than any others I’ve used in the past. You took more time, did a better job, and thoroughly answered all of my questions in terms that I could understand.
Great job from start to finish! Now that I’ve found you, I’ll use A to Z exclusively from now on!
~ Greg and Marsha Johannson, Granite Bay, CA
Read more »
ServiceCEO Chimney Sweeps Software Business Solutions