About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning -Sacramento CA - A to Z Chimney Sweeps
A to Z Chimney Website Header
a to z window screens banner
Select Page

At A to Z Window Screen, Chimney Sweep & Dryer Vent Cleaning a big part of the reason we love doing the work we do is that we enjoy the sense of purpose we get from protecting our customers from grave dangers like house fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. Not only are we helping our customers in and around Lincoln, California, have cleaner, more efficient, more enjoyable heating appliances, but we also are able to guard and educate our customers. For instance, many of our customers are surprised to find that the clothes dryer duct is a common source of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Are you confident enough to say that the air you breathe in your own home is clean and free of carbon monoxide? Call the experts now and find out for sure.

Are you confident enough to say that the air you breathe in your own home is clean and free of carbon monoxide? Call the experts now and find out for sure.

Two of the dangers we most often look for and help our customers prevent are house/chimney fires and carbon monoxide intrusion, which can be almost impossible to detect. Various problems within both the clothes dryer and the chimney may cause carbon monoxide to vent inside your home instead of outside it. Chimneys, fireplaces, and furnaces can become dangerous if their flue (or vent) is improperly sized, blocked, disconnected, leaking, or backdrafting. Sometimes we find that homeowners simply don’t know how to operate their heating appliance properly—for instance, not understanding how or when to open and close the damper. These types of venting problems are responsible for hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries in the United States each year. We take pride in knowing that we help our customers live more safely and confidently, knowing that they can enjoy their fireplace or furnace without worry.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

While carbon monoxide detectors do a great job of alerting homeowners to the presence of carbon monoxide, we firmly believe that prevention is far more ideal. Annual inspections of your chimney, fireplace, and dryer duct will go a long way toward protecting you from the potential for carbon monoxide to accumulate in your home.

Why do you want to prevent carbon monoxide from being in your home? Simply put, it is deadly—all the more so because it’s impossible to smell, smell, or taste. Furthermore its symptoms can be deceptively flu-like, so that many people suffering from low-level exposure are misdiagnosed with the flu, or even seasonal depression. Two notable differences between flu sufferers and those sickened by carbon monoxide: the absence of a fever and glandular swelling. To better understand what happens to the body when exposed to carbon monoxide, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s FAQs page on Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

Only a pro will be able to alert you to potential dangers, but you may see some signs that your chimney or dryer vent is not venting correctly. With regard to your chimney, its important to pay attention to draft issues as a chimney that is “backdrafting” may very well pull carbon monoxide, as well as smoke and soot, into your home. And if you’ve noticed that your dryer is taking longer than usual to dry clothes, it may very well be clogged by dust and dirt, which poses a fire hazard and prevents it from venting properly. Professional cleanings and tune-ups of both your chimney and dryer duct can generally alleviate any concerns about the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Common Causes of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in the Home

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, chimneys and dryers are but two of the sources of carbon monoxide leaks in the home. Homes with gas stoves and ranges may be particularly vulnerable, as average levels of carbon monoxide in homes without gas stoves vary from 0.5 to 5 parts per million (ppm). Meanwhile, levels near properly adjusted gas stoves are often 5 to 15 ppm, while those near poorly adjusted stoves may be 30 ppm or higher. Other carbon monoxide poisoning culprits include:

  • Unvented kerosene and gas space heaters
  • Back-drafting from gas water heaters and gas stoves
  • Generators and other gasoline powered equipment inside the home or garage
  • Tobacco smoke
  • Incomplete oxidation during combustion in gas ranges
  • Unvented gas or kerosene heaters
  • Worn or poorly adjusted boilers and furnaces
  • Auto, truck, or bus exhaust from attached garages, nearby roads, or parking areas

If you suspect that your chimney or clothes dryer is not venting correctly, please contact us today. One of our certified technicians will get out to your home as soon as possible to inspect it for the presence of carbon monoxide or assess any problems within your vents.