Have Your Dryer And Dryer Vent Professionally Installed!
If you’ve just purchased a new clothes dryer, you may be tempted to save money by installing it yourself or hiring your favorite handyman to do the work. The truth is: this job is best left to a professional who knows just how important it is to install a dryer correctly to minimize the risk of dryer fires. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, “The installation and maintenance of clothes dryers are an important part of making sure that a clothes dryer performs as designed and does not become a fire hazard.”
At A to Z Chimney Services, we’ve seen some dryer installations gone terribly wrong—including cases where a dryer vents exhaust into the attic, crawl space, chimney, or interior walls, causing indoor air deterioration and mold. And unfortunately, we’ve met customers who are the victims of clothes dryer fires – it’s a very real problem. According to FEMA, an estimated 2,900 clothes dryer fires occur in residential buildings—causing five deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss annually.
Dryer Installation Guidelines
Here are five basic safety guidelines to follow with every clothes dryer installation:
1. Your dryer vent hose should be as short as possible.
2. Your vent hose should never be plastic. Use an aluminum vent hose instead.
3. Your vent hoses should never be kinked or crushed—something that commonly happens when a dryer is pushed back into place.
4. If you have a gas dryer, you should have a professional inspect your gas line and replace it if it looks questionable.
5. Following a professional installation, we recommend that you have your dryer vent cleaned regularly, at which point your dryer vent technician can also check to make sure that your connections are still safe and that your dryer is working at optimum efficiency. Even if you regularly empty your dryer’s lint trap, you may need to have your ducts professionally cleaned to remove accumulated lint, especially if you have a longer-than-normal dryer vent because your dryer isn’t located near an exterior wall of your home. Find out more about dryer vent cleaning here.
Did You Know?
Clothes dryers in newer homes are more likely to catch fire because the modern home’s layout often has the laundry room in a central location. This means the dryer vent is far more lengthy and thus probably makes more twists and turns where lint boulders can become lodged. In other words, if you live in a newer home, it is even more imperative that you have your dryer vent professionally cleaned.
Slash your risk of a dryer fire. Make a dryer installation appointment with A to Z Chimney Services today! Email us at email@example.com or fill out our online appointment form today!
We Accept Credit Cards
Certifications & Associations
Awards & Reviews
The owner was traing another employee while at my house cleaning the dryer vent and I was very impressed with his mannerism and professionalism. GREAT JOB!
~ Jim Tennerson, Gold River, CA
Read more »