Our Company Blog
When was the last time you gave thought to your clothing dryer vents? If you can’t remember — or if you have never given thought to your clothing dryer vents — the time has come to think about them. Ignoring your clothing dryer vents can cause you serious problems, and put your home and your family in danger.
You know that your clothing dryer creates lint every time you dry a load of laundry. What you might not realize is that the lint you clean out of your lint trap isn’t the entirety of the lint. With each load of laundry, damp lint bypasses the dryer and sticks to the edges of your dryer vents, then to itself. If dryer vents aren’t cleaned regularly, they will become clogged with lint. Clogged dryer vents can cause the dryer’s heating element to overheat and ignite, leading to a serious fire. In fact, firefighters in the United States respond to nearly 15,000 clothing dryer fires each year.
If your clothing dryer vents have become clogged, it’s likely your dryer will be sending you signs of a pending problem. As you think about your clothing dryer vents, ask yourself these questions:
• Are loads of laundry taking longer to dry than normal? When dryer vents are clogged, your dryer won’t work efficiently, and clothes will take longer to dry than normal. A regular load of clothes should dry within a 40-minute cycle, and a heavier load of blankets or towels should dry within an hour if dryer vents are cleared and the dryer is working efficiently.
• Is your clothing dryer hot to the touch when it’s running? Does your laundry room heat up noticeably when the dryer is running? When the vents are clogged, the dryer vent’s heating element is prone to overheating. Clogged dryer vents can cause the dryer to feel hot to the touch, the laundry room to heat up noticeable and clothes to feel unusually hot to the touch when they come out of the dryer.
• Does your laundry room smell smoky, musty or overwhelmingly like fabric softener? If dryer vents are clogged, the air won’t be exhausting fully from your dryer, which can cause an overwhelming smell of fabric softener. An overheated heating element can cause a smoky, burning smell, and if clothes aren’t drying fully with each dryer cycle, a musty smell can result.
• Do you have a smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in or near your laundry room? Even if you routinely have your clothing dryer vents cleaned, your laundry room should be outfitted with smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to alert you and your family of a fire or buildup of carbon monoxide caused by clogged dryer vents or a faulty dryer.
The only way to protect your home from the dangers of clogged dryer vents is with a professional dryer vent cleaning. A professional dryer vent cleaning scrubs the lint from vent walls with high-powered rotating brushes and vacuums it away to keep vents clear. Think about your clothing dryer vents — if they are due for a cleaning, call to schedule an appointment with A to Z Chimney Services today!
When you need chimney or fireplace services in the greater Sacramento area, there’s no better place to call than A to Z Chimney Services. We’re Sacramento’s No. 1 choice in chimney services!
A to Z Chimney Services has been cleaning, inspecting and repairing chimneys and heating appliances in the Sacramento area for more than 20 years. The company was started by A to Z namesake Aaron Zambrana when he began sweeping and repairing chimneys to support himself through college. Since that time, Zambrana has taken his garage-based business and grown it into one of Sacramento’s largest and most reputable companies.
One of the best reasons to trust A to Z Chimney Services with your fireplace and chimney system is because of our certifications. We believe strongly in industry trainings so that we can provide our customers with the safest and best chimney services. In fact, A to Z employs more sweeps certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America than any other area chimney services company. A to Z Chimney Services goes far beyond that. We ensure that ALL of our chimney sweeps our certified where other companies generally only seek certification for the owner or a few select chimney sweeps. That means you can trust that whichever A to Z sweep is sent to service your chimney is fully trained to handle the job the right way.
On top of our CSIA certification, A to Z also holds certifications from the National Fireplace Institute and holds a contractor’s specialty license for chimney sweeping.
A to Z Chimney Services can handle all of your chimney and home-heating appliance needs! Some of the many services we offer include:
- Chimney and fireplace sweeping and inspections. All vented appliances should be cleaned and inspected at least once a year. This helps lower the risk of home fires and carbon monoxide buildup and to spot problems like leaks and structural decline. A to Z offers regular annual chimney sweepings and inspections, as well as more involved inspections for real estate transfers or damaged or dilapidated chimneys.
- Installation and construction. Looking to create the perfect hearth for your home? A to Z can help! We install fireplace inserts, heating stoves, chimneys, gas logs and more! Whether you’re looking to rehab an existing hearth with insert, have a prefabricated fireplace installed or have a traditional masonry fireplace and chimney constructed from scratch, A to Z Chimney Services can handle the job.
- Chimney repairs. A to Z Chimney Services can rehab your failing chimney. From replacing a chimney cap to repairing leaks or completely reconstructing a failing chimney, A to Z can restore your chimney’s look and function.
- Dryer vent cleaning. Just like your chimney, your clothing dryer vents require annual cleaning and inspection to keep your dryer operating safely and efficiently. Our chimney sweeps are trained and certified to handle the job!
Call A to Z Chimney Services to schedule your appointment today!
If you’re looking for the best chimney and fireplace services in the Sacramento area, call A to Z Chimney Services to schedule your appointment today! You’ll find highly trained sweeps and a complete lineup of hearth and chimney services.
Each spring, we make it a habit to deep clean our homes: We dust normally unreached corners, get rid of unused items and organize our closets and garages. This spring, you should add dryer vent cleaning to your list of spring cleaning tasks!
Dryer vent cleaning is an important part of home maintenance.
Over time, lint builds up in your dryer vents. Each time you dry a load of clothes, lint makes it past the screen trap. In fact, the lint trap only catches about 60 percent of the lint created by your dryer, leaving the other 40 percent to make its way up into your dryer vents. The lint sticks to itself within the dryer vents, leading to clogs and blockages. Additionally, other things can block dryer vents. Animals and birds can crawl or fly in from the outside and make nests. Believe it or not, even smaller items of clothing, like socks, can make it past the lint screen and block the dryer vent. We don’t often think of cleaning our dryer vents, but it should be done at least once per year, making dryer vent cleaning an ideal spring cleaning project!
Dryer vent cleaning saves you money.
Having your dryer vents cleaned is a relatively inexpensive service, and having your dryer vents cleaned can save you money throughout the rest of the year. A clogged dryer vent can cost an additional $18 to $24 each month in energy costs, as the dryer has to work harder and run longer to dry each load of clothing. That means that dryer vent cleaning more than pays for itself over the course of a year. Dryer vent cleaning also can save you money by extending the life of your dryer, as dirty dryer vents overtax your dryer by interfering with its airflow.
Dryer vent cleaning keeps your home safe.
Clothing dryer cause more than 15,000 home fires each year, according to statistics from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, and many of those are caused by clogged dryer vents. When warm air can’t escape from the dryer via the dryer vent, that heat builds up while the dryer is running. That extreme heat can ignite the highly flammable lint in the dryer vents or dryer, causing a fire. Blocked dryer vents also can prevent carbon monoxide, a byproduct of a gas dryer, from leaving the home. That can lead to a dangerous buildup of carbon monoxide inside the home.
Schedule your spring dryer vent cleaning with A to Z Chimney Services now!
Adding dryer vent cleaning to your spring cleaning to-do list can save you money, keep your home safe and help keep your clothes clean by dryer them faster, avoiding the musty smell that can occur when wet clothes remain in the dryer too long. And by including dryer vent cleaning in your spring cleaning ritual, you’ll remember to have your dryer vents cleaned annual, as is recommended. Call A to Z Chimney Services Sacramento today to schedule your spring dryer vent cleaning!
Beware of the hidden monster hiding in your chimney and dryer vents!
October is the month of ghosts, ghouls, and goblins. We celebrate this festive fall season by dressing our little monsters up as… little monsters! Then we trek from home to home collecting candy from homeowners who want to avoid having their jack-o-lantern smashed all over the sidewalk by some of the slightly older aforementioned “monsters”.
But monsters who smash pumpkins aren’t the only monsters you should be concerned about in October!
You need to take necessary precautions to avoid the chimney monsters lurking in the night waiting to possess your chimney….
If you are unfortunate enough to cross paths with one of these fire breathing monsters, you’ll know it! A low, rumbling growl coming from your fireplace or wood stove is usually the first indication of this monster’s presence.
Soon, a loud, howling wind is rushing up into your flue and fire can often be seen shooting out the top of the chimney! In the worst case scenario, the fire breathing chimney monster has been known to consume the entire home, leaving only a pile of burn ash and rubble in its terrible wake!
Forget about reciting prayers, hanging a dead chicken or drawing a circle of chalk around your chimney…. Traditional methods of warding off monsters are completely ineffectual when it comes to dealing with these chimney possessing beasts! The only way to protect your chimney from demonic possession is to have your chimney professionally cleaned and safety inspected!
Having the flammable creosote deposits removed from your chimney this October is the surest way to ward off evil fire breathing chimney demons!
To help keep you safe this Halloween, A to Z is offering a 10% discount* on your next chimney sweeping, dryer vent cleaning, or gas fireplace service scheduled on or before October 31, 2015.
So give us a call today and schedule your next chimney sweeping, gas fireplace service, or dryer cleaning. We can be reached at (916) 850-2446. We may not be able to keep your jack-o’-lanterns from getting smashed, but we sure can prevent a chimney monster infestation!
*Cannot be combined with any other discount or offer, or currently scheduled jobs. This offer must be mentioned at the time of booking your appointment.
October 4th through 10th is National Fire Prevention Week.
If you’re a Catholic saint, you’ve got more holidays and celebrations than you can shake a stick at, but what about the poor lowly chimney sweep? On what day do we honor and celebrate this venerable, humble tradesman who has probably prevented more fires than firefighters have ever extinguished?
Well, Chimney Sweeps don’t have their own official “holi”day….. Instead, we have our own special WEEK!
October 4-10 is Fire Prevention Week! This is the week we celebrate the brave individuals who work hard at preventing fires from happening, as well as the firefighting professionals who risk life and limb to extinguish them when one breaks out.
This is the week each year that you should take steps to reduce the chances of a fire in your home. Here are a few things you can do:
• Get the Chimney Swept and inspected.
• Get your Clothes Dryer Vent cleaned out.
• Have your Gas Fireplace cleaned and inspected.
• Check the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
• Check that your ABC fire extinguishers are fully charged and placed strategically.
• Have your furnace system cleaned and inspected.
• Check the oven exhaust hood to ensure it’s grease free.
To celebrate fire prevention week, A to Z Chimney Services is offering a 10% discount on your next chimney sweeping, dryer vent cleaning, or gas fireplace service scheduled on or before October 31, 2015.
So give us a call today and schedule your next chimney sweeping, gas fireplace service, or dryer cleaning. We can be reached at (916) 850-2446.
Cannot be combined with any other discount or offer, or currently scheduled jobs. This offer must be mentioned at the time of booking your appointment.